» K38 Forum Menu

Go Back   RESCUE WATER CRAFT ASSOCIATION » Facts about Personal Watercraft

Old 03-13-2012, 10:01 PM
RWCA Admiral

Default Did You Know Mitt Romney Rescued NJ Family in Sinking Boat using a JETSKI?

Did You Know Mitt Romney Rescued NJ Family in Sinking Boat?

Tewksbury family was saved by Romney and two of his sons back when he was governor of Massachusetts.

Now that Mitt Romney seems to have cemented his frontrunner status as the next Republican candidate for U.S. president, I'm left wondering what an online political commentator also has asked — why doesn't the candidate ever mention an incident in which he rescued a Hunterdon County family in a sinking boat?

At the time, on July 4 weekend in 2003, I was a reporter covering Tewksbury Township for an area newspaper.

That year, Mitt Romney was just starting his time as Massachusetts governor. Apparently, he was vacationing with his family on Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire, as was the Morrissey family from New Jersey.

As I remember it, the story was that it was getting dark when the Morrisseys' boat began to sink. Meanwhile, Robert Morrissey's cell phone hit the water just as he was attempting to call for help.

A report published in Massachusetts from the time says the then-governor "rode to the rescue over the weekend during a vacation trip — using his Jet Ski to help pluck a New Jersey family and their dog out of Lake Winnipesaukee after their boat sank."
In an account that jives with my memory, two of the Romney sons and their father each sped out on jet skis to the six members of the family, whose boat had sprung a sudden leak, and were afraid that they would not be noticed on the darkening lake.
The Romneys, working together, managed to rescue the six passengers—and their dog, too—prompting my interview with Robert Morrissey in 2003 during which the Tewksbury resident expressed his gratitude to the governor and his sons.

So this week, having made a phone call or two before and not getting through, I again called Morrissey to update the story and ask the question that certainly had me very curious. Was he going to vote for Romney in the upcoming primary election, and in the presidential election if he is chosen as the Republican nominee?

Perhaps because he remembered my name (who knows?), the Tewksbury resident picked up the phone—but then said he didn't want to talk about Romney yet again.
I gathered from our brief conversation that Morrissey had been beseiged by reporters from Boston on down back when the incident occurred in 2003. Now, "I don't want to rehash it," he insisted politely.

Like any good reporter, I urged him to give me a call if he changed his mind about talking.

He softened a little, and said he might call me if the former Massachusetts governor indeed becomes president of the United States. In that case, he quipped, "My boat will be worth a lot more."

Related Topics:Mitt Romney and presidential elections
Old 03-13-2012, 10:05 PM
RWCA Admiral

Romney, Sons Rescue Boaters

2003 - WOLFEBORO, N.H. -- Gov. Mitt Romney, vacationing on Lake Winnipesauke in Wolfeboro, unexpectedly made headlines Saturday night. With the help of two of his sons, Josh and Craig, the Bay State's chief executive saved a family of six and their dog when their boat sank.

Janet Wu Reports On Romney's Rescue
Newscenter 5's Janet Wu reported that it was dusk in on Saturday night when, while picking up children's toys on the beach, the Romneys heard screams and Craig, 22, saw bobbing heads about 400 yards off the coastline.

"Rescuers, including the Romney family, assisted in helping the stranded family get back to shore safely. There were no injuries," N.H. Marine Patrol Sgt. Crystal McLain said.

"We jumped on the jet-ski and went out there. My dad was on one and me and Craig were on the other. We found six people, three women and three men, floating in the water. Their boat had just sunk," Josh Romney said.

The 19-foot boat was recovered from the bottom of the lake on Monday. The rescued family refused all comments.

The Romney boys said their father was the man of action.

"My dad pulled two of them onto his boat and ferried them back and forth to shore while Craig and I waited with the others in the water. Boats kept coming by so it was kind of dangerous, we worried that they might have been hit by a boat, unable to be seen," Josh Romney said.

"At that time, they gathered their things and we gave them some towels. We put them on our regular boat and took them to their home. They have a boathouse and a house on the lake. At that point, I introduced myself to them and they said, 'Yeah, we know who you are,'" Mitt Romney said.

This was not the first time Romney made a rescue on the lake. Several years ago, he rescued kayakers who got caught in the currents in their attempt to get back to shore.

Romney insists he is not a hero, but his neighbors disagree.

"You could say he was a hero. He was doing what anybody would do," neighbor Helene Pierce said.

Romney never met the family before Saturday and knows little about them.

"I don't know their party affiliation. I didn't ask. We rescue all parties here," Mitt Romney said.

The family rescued, the Morrisseys, are from New Jersey and, like the Romneys, have a summer home on the lake. They are publicity shy and have been adamant in not talking to the press.

The Romney family will spend another week at their home in Wolfeboro -- a week they hope will be a bit quieter.

Read more: http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news...#ixzz1p7yj1G8v
Old 03-13-2012, 10:08 PM
RWCA Admiral

Default Mitt Romney uses sons JETSKI to rescue boaters

Romney rescues capsized boaters

By Elisabeth J. Beardsley / Boston Herald

Posted Jul 06, 2003 @ 08:00 PM
Last update Jul 19, 2007 @ 05:36 PM

Waltham
Gov. Mitt Romney rode to the rescue over the weekend during a vacation trip -- using his Jet Ski to help pluck a New Jersey family and their dog out of Lake Winnipesaukee after their boat sank.

The drama began at about 8:30 p.m. Saturday, as Romney and his family were relaxing at their lakeside summer home in Wolfeboro, N.H.

Gubernatorial son Josh Romney told the Herald yesterday that he and brother Craig were cleaning the beach while their father puttered in the garage when the quiet night air was pierced with screams.

"We heard a whole bunch of screaming," said Josh Romney, who immediately hopped onto his Jet Ski. "We tore out of there and my dad hopped on the other Jet Ski and came out right after us."

Roughly 300 yards out onto the lake, six adult family members and their dog were floundering in the water, after their boat suddenly sprung a huge leak -- sinking in less than 90 seconds, Josh said.

While water temperatures were a balmy 75 degrees, the deepening darkness obscured other boaters' vision -- prompting the victims' terrified howls as they were buzzed by other vessels cruising in the entrance to Wolfeboro Bay.

Chasing fleeting glimpses of "bobbling heads" in the water, the Romney trio arrived on their two Jet Skis to find three women and three men wearing lifejackets they hadn't even had time to buckle.

The governor pulled the two younger women aboard his three-seater Jet Ski and zoomed back to shore, while his sons helped the mother of the family onto their vehicle.

In the middle of the rescue, the governor actually took a dunking himself -- thrown off the Jet Ski as one anxious boater scrambled aboard and tipped the craft off-balance.
The rescuing Romneys also managed to snatch the family dog, McKenzie, from a watery grave -- grabbing the Scottish terrier first because it was the only passenger without a lifejacket.

"It looked like it wasn't going to last much longer," said Josh, who held the waterlogged pooch on the ride back to shore.

With Josh and Craig hovering nearby, the three men treaded water until the governor returned and made two more trips to ferry them back.

The 21-foot wooden Century boat took water so fast that a cell phone was destroyed in the middle of a frantic phone call to 911, said Sgt. Eric Robertson of the New Hampshire State Marine Patrol.

Read more: Romney rescues capsized boaters - Dedham, Massachusetts - The Dedham Transcript http://www.dailynewstranscript.com/n...#ixzz1p7zKhjP2