» K38 Forum Menu

Go Back   K38 LLC » K38 Information Forum » Welcome Aboard K38!

Old 07-19-2012, 02:23 PM

Post How do you have your RWC and PPE set up?

My name is Marty and I am new to the K38 forum. Our Fire Department water rescue team is still in its infancy and therefore we struggle with equipment along with training. I am open to any constructive critisism and recommendations.

We operate on Lake Michigan which has the ability to have conditions change rapidly. We run 2 Yamaha FX 140s with Extractor boards. We have the basic safety equipment for audible & visual distress, compass, radio communications with lifeguards and Coast Guard, rescue tube, throw rope, spare PFD, and dive knife.

PPE typically consists of: Helmet, Coast Guard approved PFD, fins, mask. I have seen pictures of Shawn's set up and will try to replicate that. I carry a whistle on my vest, but I am the only one at this time (that will change in the near future).

Feel free to contact me via e-mail or phone: rafacz13@yahoo.com or 708-516-6614
I would love to see pictures or get suggestions. Evanston, IL is the first city north of Chicago, home to Northwestern University.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Last edited by rafacz13; 07-24-2012 at 01:31 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:44 PM
RWCA Admiral

Hello Marty!

I have posted a link to your question at the RWCSIA group facebook page hoping someone would give you some of thier ideas.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/RWCSIA/?ref=ts

Definetely get a whistle on your lifejackets! The tether cord needs to be long enough to turn your head from right to left but not much excess on the leash. Tie it off as high towards the shoulder area as possible. It can be a hazard wtih the leash wrapping on the helm (handlebars) or other things. I keep two whistles on mine in case I break one but that's usually when I'm working special events. I put a little bit of black duct tape at the end to make a sort of 'weight' to keep the whistle 'down', so it doesn't flop around while riding. I have two kinds of whislte a Mini Fox 40 and a Whistle 4 Life both good for water immersion
Old 07-26-2012, 08:18 AM
Reefwalker

Welcome aboard Marty. Most marine or rescue units I have come in contact with have the same problems with equipment and training my department included. This is how I actually became involved with K38. By just getting involved in the forum was a great way to build a safe foundation for yourself and your unit.

As a suggestion maybe you could post some photos or a short video of your rig, trailer and RWC and point out any questions that you may have. Preparing your PPE is a step by step process and you have to feel comfortable in it while in the water and out of the water.

Hope to hear more about your progress.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:06 PM

Default Thanks for the info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefwalker View Post
Welcome aboard Marty. Most marine or rescue units I have come in contact with have the same problems with equipment and training my department included. This is how I actually became involved with K38. By just getting involved in the forum was a great way to build a safe foundation for yourself and your unit.

As a suggestion maybe you could post some photos or a short video of your rig, trailer and RWC and point out any questions that you may have. Preparing your PPE is a step by step process and you have to feel comfortable in it while in the water and out of the water.

Hope to hear more about your progress.
I took a couple of pics the last time I was out, but it was as we were putting things away. I want to get some better pics and I will get them posted.

Stay safe,

Marty
Old 08-03-2012, 09:19 PM
RWCA Admiral

Yeah Marty a few pics will help.
I'll also try to sort some out to help you.
Each boat : MAKE MODEL AND YEAR OF PRODUCTION
Has to be rigged differently so its kind of a specialized request.
Otherwise 'ideas' don't really assist folks like yourself, you need concrete and specific answers to get the optimized results.
Most folks are copying what others are doing and it's not helping their particular project.
Good advice John.