» K38 Forum Menu

Go Back   RESCUE WATER CRAFT ASSOCIATION » RWCA Information Forum » Welcome Aboard RWCA!

Old 03-16-2010, 04:03 PM
mejorpain

Hello K38.

My name is Mike Ontiveros. I am a recreational rider in Carlsbad, CA. Been riding the socal coast for 9 years. My wife and I have a seadoo rxt wake and and rxp.

I want to learn more about riding more safely in this beautiful and powerful Pacific Ocean.

Very interested in fishing and someday a ride up the entire California coast.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:22 PM

Default Welcome

Hello to all of K38 near and far.
I grew up in Southern Ca and am now enjoying living up on the Central Coast! (slo area)
Have been surfing and enjoying the ocean for 30 years just partnered with a friend on a 2004 Yamaha FXHO to explore this beautiful coast of ours. I am looking forward to learning and am excited about embarking on this new adventure! I am planning on participating in the next training sessions in Morro Bay once they are scheduled.
Cheers,
Barry Baker
Old 02-27-2012, 10:56 PM

Welcome to the forum Barry! Congratz for getting on top of things and taking a safety class. Better to know before you go, yeah?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:38 PM

Thanks Brian
I have a few friends who have trained with K38, the first being Dan Kaiahua he recommended me to K38 that I can take my years of surfing experience and the K38 training to broaden my perspective and expand my comfort zone! Looking forward to K38 coming up to Morro Bay in 2012
Cheers
Old 03-07-2012, 06:42 AM
RWCA Admiral

Ahoy Barry!
Dan is a great waterman, he's a good spirit! Welcome aboard our forum, thanks for joining up with us!
Old 03-07-2012, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard from Italy Barry, Enjoy your K38 Experience and all the best the incoming summer season!
Old 12-11-2014, 07:19 AM

Default Hello from Alaska

Hello,

We stumbled upon this forum while researching PWC safety options. We are an 100% aluminum PWC manufacture based out of Alaska. We've been working on a rescue version of our PWC and have finally posted some pictures in the Rescue PWC forum thread.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:06 AM
RWCA Admiral

Thanks Aluma Ski, glad to have you on board, please share your information!
Old 01-28-2016, 05:11 PM

Default East coast shout-out

Hi,
I'm John. I'm with a volunteer fire department in the Eastern panhandle of WV. For the last two years we have had the swiftwater rescue team for our county. Unfortunately, we picked it up after the previous team had disbanded and sold all of their equipment, therefore we had to start from scratch.
Our primary calls come from tubing, rafting and kayaking activities on the Shenandoah and Potomac rivers.
Most of our 12 team members are trained to the NFPA standard for technician level, with a few that are at the ops level and a couple that are at awareness and only want to help from dry land.
We have 2 boats, a R1 14' inflatable and an Alumaski, the first one on the east coast. Both boats are new to us this past year, the R1 being purchase by the department and late summer we got the Alumaski, being provided primarily by private donation. We are still very much in the learning curve of the capabilities and limitations of the Alumaski. We also have a Lifesled for the Alumaski.
The first year we had two older, used Yamaha skis. Being that PWC's are not recognized in the local dispatch systems as "rescue boats", we had very few calls. Also, when it comes to fiberglass and rocks, the rocks win every time.
PWC type craft are not typically used in this region for water rescue and with the fire service, being very tradition-driven, we have an upriver journey. But against the flow is where you have maximum control, right?
I hope to learn a lot from browsing this site. I will also stop back and post lessons learned this coming season.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:31 AM

Hi John
Welcome aboard,
I am sure you can come across lots of useful tips as you spend time in the forums
would like to see some pics of your set up with the alumaski with the lifesled attached.
Cheers
Barry